The main objective of this project is to improve the water extraction and conveyance infrastructure for the Shashe Irrigation Scheme. The project also aims to establish and sustain lasting irrigation management structures (committees) and agricultural production systems in the scheme by training the committees in irrigation governance, financial management, transformational leadership, record keeping and agronomic practices and linking them to potential markets.
During the six years that LED has been supporting this irrigation scheme, a number of results were achieved, including the following:
• 4000 m of canals were repaired following damages by floods,
• 2.5 km of perimeter fence was erected and maintained
• 3 new boreholes were drilled and equipped with engines
• 4 water points were rehabilitated,
• 6 toilets were constructed